Friday, February 20, 2015

Flock of Good Luck



Gong Xi Fa Cai (Mandarin) or Gong Hay Fat Choi (Cantonese). Chinese New Year is a big celebration for Thai people since most of them have Chinese descendants. To experience this festivity, I went to Yaowarat Road in Samphanthawong District, the home of Bangkok's Chinatown. It wasn't my first time to go there owing to the fact that I usually pass that street each time I go chilling to Khaosan Road. But that was my first time to celebrate Chinese New Year in the said place and it was amazing. Busy crowd gathered together to make merit and to address solemn request of good luck and expression of thanks to a deity. Lion and dragon dancing, Chinese artworks, Chinese culinary, Chinese accessories and red lanterns were all around the street. I had a lot of fun watching people went crazy with their Cheongsam (Chinese Dress) holding an Ang Pao or Hong Bao, whatever you call it. The road were mobbed with diverse nationalities came from different side of the world. I had an opportunity to see the Princess of Thailand and I think it was the highlight of the gallivant. The total experience was great and I want to do that again. Happy Chinese New Year! Wishing you all the best of luck this year of the sheep!






































No comments:

Post a Comment